Thursday, July 14, 2011

The day I ran away




This picture is me, my brother, and an old neighbor friend Steven.
Thinking about Steven and his family, I always remember my first time ever running away.
We moved to my home when I was 5 years old. It was a property right next door to my uncle and aunt. So one day shortly after the property was bought(I was 4), we visited my aunt and uncle.
There was no house yet so we had not moved out of our apartment. My dad wanted to take my brother to show him the property. I wanted to come along but Dad wouldn't let me. He told me to stay in my uncle and aunt's back yard and jump on the trampoline.
Let's just say I was less than thrilled about it. I felt it was my God given right as the little sister, to be invited to everything my brother went to. I yelled and whined as they walked through the brushy trail to the property.
Once they were out of sight, I decided that if Nick got to go explore that direction, then I should be allowed to explore the opposite direction. So that's what I did. I walked through the woods for a bit, and popped out at the driveway.
The very imaginative person I am, I told myself it was some ancient trail to another world. I clearly remember walking up the driveway trying to figure out how I would speak to the village people if they spoke a different language.
It took a while for me to reach the top where the driveway met the road. When I got there, I figured out where I was and recognized the neighbor friend's house off in the distance.
I decided it would be ok to go see if they were available to play. Standing in the middle of the gravel road, I paused and giggled with excitement a bit, knowing this was my first time going somewhere unsupervised.
I made my way to their front door and knocked. The mom answered the door, and for some reason that I cannot remember, I asked if I could eat with them. She seemed a bit confused, but welcomed me in.
I remember seeing a big cantaloupe up on their fridge and thinking how much I wanted it, but she offered me a pear instead. I wanted to ask for the cantaloupe but felt it would be rude. So I ate the pear.
Still wanting the cantaloupe, I told her I was still hungry hoping she may offer it to me. Instead she offered me an apple. Again I felt it would be rude to say no, so I accepted. She was cutting up the apple for me when some one knocked at the door.


Little did I know at the time, that a missing 4yr old child is a very upsetting thing for a parent. I sat at the table hoping it may be her son at the door, so I could play with him. But instead the mom called out, "You're mom is here!"
I was thinking everything was fine. I thought she must have known that I went to play. I was wrong! When I got to the door, I saw my mom's face was bright red.
She very sternly ordered as she pointed her finger, "You! In the car. Now!"
Mom took me back to my uncle and aunt's house, where she and my dad both chewed me out in unison. Dad's face was just as red as Mom's.
I wanted to argue that Nick got to explore, why couldn't I too......but I figured with how mad they were it was best to stay quiet and take it.


Every night before bed, Mom would make up a story for us and called them, "The Nick and Savanah story"
That night Mom's story was about Savanah getting lost out in the woods and Nick and his trusty dog, Max, having to go look for me.
As I sat and listened with entertainment, I decided the day had been pretty good. I got to explore by myself, got some yummy fruit, and it ended with a good Nick and Savanah Story.

That cantaloupe would have made it better though lol

1 comment:

Sara Nutter said...

I really enjoy reading each post. You are a very talented writer and every time I read your blog I am encouraged to enjoy and have fun in life--to see the humor and joy in seemingly everyday things that far too many people miss. :)

Page views since 2010


View My Stats